The focus of our research is the discovery and implementation of tissue-based proteomic biomarkers into pathologic routine diagnostic to improve the diagnostic reliability and the therapeutic guidance for patients that suffer from malignant tumors. For this purpose we combine histomorphology, genetic analysis and mass-spectrometry based proteomics of patient-derived tumor samples to understand the molecular architecture of human cancer.
Furthermore, we are aiming to understand oncogenic signaling pathways that lead to carcinogenesis, tumor progression, metastases and therapy resistance of human lung cancer in order to identify molecular targetable vulnerabilities and predictive biomarkers for its clinical usage. We therefore use proteomic mass-spectrometry, high-resolution microscopy and molecular and cellular biochemistry to conduct functional investigation of various disease models.
Our long term goal is to translate proteomic based biomarkers into the clinical routine diagnostic to guide personalized cancer treatment and improve our patient's prognosis and quality of life.
- Hanibal Bohnenberger (Team leader)
- Omar Elakad (PhD Student)
- Sha Yao (CSC-MD Student)
- Yuchan Li (CSC-MD Student)
- Constance Macke (Technician)
- Sandra Rüngeling (Technician)
- Julius Bodemeyer (Medical Fellow)
- Niklas Ullrich (MD Student)
- Lisa Kiessling (MD Student)
- Tabea Wagner-Gueya (former MD Student)
- Nicolas Wortmann (former MD Student)
- Jennifer Appelhans (Technician)
- Pamela Nissen (Technician)
- Natascha Gieser (former BSc Student)
- Helen Dinter (former MD Student)
- Thurid Hofmann (former MD Student)
- Hannah Henric-Petri (former MD Student)
- Jonatan Hoffmann (former MD Student)
- Jana Brünies (former MD Student)
- Philipp Stauder (former MD Student)
- Anna-Maria Lois (former MD Student)
- Mariella Fritz (former MD Student)
- Melodie Bathaee (former MD Student)
- Cem Karakütük (former MD Student)
- Christian Rothe (former MD Student)
- Bohnenberger H*, Kaderali L*, Ströbel P, Yepes D, Plessmann U, Dharia NV, Yao S, Heydt C, Merkelbach-Bruse S, Emmert A, Hoffmann J, Bodemeyer J, Reuter-Jessen K, Lois AM, Dröge LH, Baumeister P, Walz C, Biggemann L, Walter R, Häupl B, Comoglio F, Pan KT, Scheich S, Lenz C, Küffer S, Bremmer F, Kitz J, Sitte M, Beißbarth T, Hinterthaner M, Sebastian M, Lotz J, Schildhaus HU, Wolff H, Danner BC, Brandts C, Büttner R, Canis M, Stegmaier K, Serve H, Urlaub H, Oellerich T (2018): Comparative proteomics reveals a diagnostic signature for pulmonary head-and-neck cancer metastasis. EMBO Mol Med. 10(9): e8428.
- Dinter H*, Bohnenberger H*, Beck J, Bornemann-Kolatzki K, Schütz E, Küffer S, Klein L, Franks TJ, Roden A, Emmert A, Hinterthaner M, Marino M, Brcic L, Popper H, Weis CA, Pelosi G, Marx A, Ströbel P (2019): Molecular Classification of Neuroendocrine Tumors of the Thymus. J Thorac Oncol. 14(8):1472-1483.
- Elakad O, Lois AM, Schmitz K, Yao S, Hugo S, Lukat L, Hinterthaner M, Danner BC, von Hammerstein-Equord A, Reuter-Jessen K, Schildhaus HU, Ströbel P, Bohnenberger H (2020): Fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 gene amplification and protein expression in human lung cancer. Cancer Med. 9(10):3574-3583.
- Grafen M, Hofmann TR, Scheel AH, Beck J, Emmert A, Küffer S, Danner BC, Schütz E, Büttner R, Ostendorf A, Ströbel P, Bohnenberger H (2017): Optimized expression-based microdissection of formalin-fixed lung cancer tissue. Lab Invest. 97(7):863-872.
- Bohnenberger H, Ströbel P, Mohr S, Corso J, Berg T, Urlaub H, Lenz C, Serve H, Oellerich T (2015): Quantitative mass spectrometric profiling of cancer-cell proteomes derived from liquid and solid tumors. J Vis Exp. (96):e52435.
- Telefon: +49 551 3965051
- E-Mail-Adresse: hanibal.bohnenberger(at)med.uni-goettingen.de
We are always looking for highly motivated undergraduate and postgraduate researchers that are truly excited about cancer research. If you are interested in Bachelor, Master or Doctoral theses or Lab rotations please contact the Group Leader by email (Hanibal.Bohnenberger(at)med.uni-goettingen.de) with your CV and a letter of motivation.
How to find us?
We are located on the 2nd floor of the main UMG building (Room 2.E1.101.1).
Bohnenberger Lab: Tissue Proteomics
Department of Pathology
University Medical Center
- Prof. Dr. Thomas Oellerich, Department of Medicine II, Hematology/Oncology, University Frankfurt
- Prof. Dr. Henning Urlaub, Bioanalytical Mass Spectrometry Group, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry Göttingen
- Dr. Christof Lenz, Bioanalytics, University Medical Center Göttingen
- Prof. Dr. Lars Kaderali, Institute of Bioinformatics, University Medicine Greifswald
- Prof. Dr. Alexander Marx, Institute of Pathology, University Medical Centre Mannheim
- Prof. Dr. Tobias Lange, Institute of Anatomy and Experimental Morphology, University Cancer Center Hamburg
- PD Dr. Felix Bremmer, Institute of Pathology, University Medical Center Göttingen
- PD Dr. Alexander von Hammerstein-Equord, Dr. Marc Hinterthaner, Prof. Dr. Theodor Tirilomis and Prof. Dr. Bernhard C. Danner, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, University Medical Center Göttingen
- Prof. Dr. Björn Chapuy, Prof. Dr. Gerald Wulf , Dr. Judith Büntzel and Dr. Hannes Treiber, Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology, University Medical Center Göttingen
- PD Dr. Dr. Lena-Christin Conradi, Department of General, Visceral, and Pediatric Surgery, University Medical Center Göttingen
- Dr. Ramona Schulz-Heddergott, Institute of Molecular Oncology, University Medical Center Göttingen
- Dr. Sebastian Bremer, Clinic for Gastroenterology and Gastrointestinal Oncology, University Medical Center Göttingen
- Prof. Dr. Fred Wouters and Dr. Getrude Bunt, Institute of Neuropathology, University Medical Center Göttingen
- Dr. Boris Barbarics und Dr. Katja Eildermann, Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Pediatric Intensive Care Medicine, University Medical Center Göttingen
- Prof. Dr. Holger Reichardt and Dr. Sybille D. Reichardt, Institute for Cellular and Molecular Immunology, University Medical Center Göttingen